This module will introduce you to the theory of visualization, as well as how to create effective scientific visualizations in a variety of different forms. Developing your visualization skills will make you a more effective communicator. Now that you are comfortable doing basic programming in Python, you have access to some very powerful tools for visualizing your data.
- a. Understands the basic principles of data visulzation. Can apply these princples to design new, and improve existing, visulzations.
- b. Understand common ways of displaying scientific data, and can pick an appropriate way of displaying data
- c. Can create visualizations methodically, considering what the message is, who are the audience and what is the nature of of the data.
- e. Can generate visualizations in a programmatic/reproducible way using Python
- Ten guidelines for effective data visualization in scientific publications
- Ten Simple Rules for Better Figures
- Preparing Scientific Illustrations: A Guide to Better Posters, Presentations, and Publications
This is an older book (1996) but still offers good, practical, advice for creating figures. Available in hard copy and as an ebook through the library.
- How to write and illustrate scientific papers
Chapters 5-8 contain nice, elementary explanations of creating effective graphs and tables. Available in hard copy and as an ebook from the library.
- Matplotlib beginners guide
- Making better figures
A half hour video showing you how to do exactly that